With so many CBD Oil brands on the market, it is often extremely hard to know which ones are best and more importantly, how much CBD should you take. Some of the most common questions we get asked are about How much CBD oil should I take ? What is the correct dosage? How do I take it?
We’ve got the dosage topic covered but you should always consult with your doctor before beginning any form of treatment.
CBD oil comes in a variety of concentrations and forms, and it is important to understand that CBD oil works differently for every person. If you’ve never tried CBD or you are still trying to figure out what works best for you, then continue reading as there are a few important things to understand about CBD oil and CBD oil dosages.
Numerous sites suggest the following dosage guidelines when using CBD orally:
- General Health/Wellbeing: 5mg-30mg CBD daily
- Anxiety/Sleep Disorders: 10mg-80mg CBD daily
- Chronic pain/Long term conditions: 20mg-200mg CBD daily
And here’s a guide to what is in a bottle (approx. 180 total drops per bottle):
- A 10ml bottle of 300mg CBD oil contains approx. 1.5mg of oil per drop
- A 10ml bottle of 500mg CBD oil contains approx. 2.5mg of oil per drop
- A 10ml bottle of 1500mg CBD oil contains approx. 7.5mg of oil per drop
Our Recommended Dosage
As much as everyone is different and requires a different amount of CBD oil we advise using the following chart as a guideline:
Now you should be able to work out how much you need and how many drops to take. Just divide the ‘daily’ dosage by two and give half in the morning and half in the evening. We appreciate the measurements won’t equal whole numbers exactly but you can use your own judgement to round up/down as you see fit.
To give the required dosage you can either use a lower strength oil and give more drops or use a higher strength oil and give less drops. If it works out to an odd number of drops eg 7, then take three in the morning and four in the evening.
The most popular method that many CBD oil companies advise is that you place the drops under your tongue and let them take effect for at least 30-60 seconds. Start with a smaller dose and build up to your required amount:
- WEEK ONE: Start by taking one drop in the morning and one in the evening. It’s important to see how you feel as everyone reacts differently. It may even cause you irritation, and therefore it’s important to stop.
- WEEK TWO: If all goes well, increase the amount to 2-3 drops in the morning and the same in the evening. This is the testing period to see if it is helping any of your symptoms.
- WEEK THREE: Increase to 3-4 drops in the morning and same again in the evening. This is where you will begin to receive maximum benefit.
- WEEK FOUR: Increase the dose to 4+ drops in the morning and 4+ drops in the evening up to your maximum desired mg level
- TIP: If you don’t experience any change, we advise move onto a higher strength oil/increasing the drops and repeating the above steps. If your total number of daily drops exceed ten then split the dosage into three times a day instead of twice a day eg twelve drops a day would mean four drops three times a day.
The above is just an illustration and you will have a better idea of what works best for yourself and the condition you are hoping to treat once you are in a cycle of using the product.
Every Person is Different and May Require a Different Dosage
If you’ve been carrying out some research of your own, then you have probably heard of the endocannabinoid system. This is a unique system in our body that’s responsible for improving and maintaining our mental and physical health.
CBD is believed to help regulate that system by binding with various receptors located within cell and tissue systems. Those receptors are referred to as CB1 and CB2.
The endocannabinoid system is extremely complex and far from understood, leaving researchers trying to determine whether or not the CBD directly or indirectly affects those receptors, and exactly what role they play in affecting ones’ health.
While the exact way they affect our system still remains a mystery to most researchers, what we do know is that every person has a different endocannabinoid system, and therefore while the instructions on a CBD oils’ bottle may be informative and clear, the standard dosing may affect two different people in completely different ways.
Genetics, Tolerance and General Health
If you accept the fact that everyone is different, then you can understand that everyone has his/her own genetics, tolerance, and general health. There are those that suffer from severe debilitating conditions and others that are only looking to cure their day to day anxiety.
Each person has their own reasons for wanting to take CBD oil, and it’s assumed that all of these factors – genetics, tolerance and general health – will come into play as far as how well CBD works for them.
It cannot be expected that someone who is in the prime of their game, from a health perspective, will require the same dosage as someone who has severe medical issues.
It’s Not a Miracle Cure
Regardless of whether the right dosage of CBD will work for your body or not, it’s important to understand that CBD oil is not a miracle cure. Don’t expect to take a few drops and, Voilà, you’re cured.
The effects of CBD oil are not instant, and people constantly make the same mistake – they use CBD for a short period, expecting it to cure them instantly, and when it doesn’t work they complain and ask for a refund. CBD can take time to work and similar to your health issues, it won’t happen overnight. The key is finding the right dosage.
So, in summary to ‘How much CBD oil should I take?’ the best way is as we always say; start slow and work your way up until you feel like your condition is now controlled or diminished. Also give it 4-6 weeks to allow time for your own individual body to adjust.